Every two weeks, Vanguard distills hundreds of digital media headlines into the best “byte”- sized pieces of useful information. Each edition has news ranging from the latest Facebook algorithm changes to best practices for email marketing. Share Digital Bytes with your organization to keep your digital strategies ahead of the pack.
This week was all about Apple. The tech giant unveiled its big plan to take over what you read, watch and how you pay for it. From a new streaming video service and original content to a paid news app to a credit card, the company is diversifying its revenue stream and hoping to get into the media business in a big way. Time will tell if it will succeed, but it already has the support of A-listers like Oprah, Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston who all made an appearance at the big live announcement.
In Other News …
- Facebook will ban white nationalist content and redirect attempted posters of such content to nonprofit Life After Hate, which works to de-radicalize people in hate groups.
- While Facebook is making every effort to stop misinformation from spreading across its platform, a new home for hate has been found on Instagram.
- MySpace may have lost all your embarrassing old photos and questionable taste in music that you uploaded pre-2016. The incident was due to a migration project that went awry. Condolences to the people whose accounts were affected, but we’d wager most of the internet is sighing with relief.
- Are you participating in a lot of videoconferences and constantly sharing your screen? Before you have an embarrassing alert pop up during your next big presentation, read this New York Times piece on settings to save you from any screenshare mishaps!
- New to social media marketing and need help with strategy? Social Media Today’s infographic on the 5 P’s approach will help you get sorted with the basics before you move on to more complex campaigns.
Yes, a big malware infection spread through a routine security update. But this New York Times op-ed makes a compelling case for why we should all still run our updates regularly. BRB, gotta go update my phone for the first time this year!
Tags: Apple / Apple Credit / Apple Inc. / Apple Media / Facebook / infographic / Life After Hate / Myspace / screensharing